Stillman is an institution of higher education founded by the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Tuscaloosa, Alabama in1876.
Stillman is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097; Telephone number 404-679-4501) to award the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees. The Colleges also is approved by the Alabama State Board of Education to offer teacher education programs.
Stillman's average enrollment is 1200 students with more than 75 percent of the student body being from Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Florida and Illinois, and just over 1 percent being from foreign countries. Eighty students are enrolled in the Harte Honors College, and experience for the best and brightest thinkers and doers.
Stillman is a corporation chartered by the State of Alabama. It has a self-perpetuating Board of up to 31 trustees chaired by Charles Stillman.
Stillman recognizes that there are many activities and services vital to the total growth and development of the student. Consequently, a number of formalized programs, organizations, and activities are made available to students through the Division of Student Affairs. To facilitate coordination, the organizations of activities and services is divided into seven categories: Housing and Residential Life, Counseling, Career/Graduate School Related Services, Health Services, Student Activities, Campus Christian Life, and Student Government Association.
The East Entrance of Stillman
Stillman is located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama 52 miles southwest of Birmingham. Tuscaloosa is served by major bus and rail lines; modern shopping and service facilities are accessible in the immediate vicinity of the campus. Downtown Tuscaloosa is within walking distance. The 105-acre campus is noted for its stately magnolias and spacious, well-maintained grounds, and graceful buildings.
The Harold N. Stinson Math and Science Buildings
Harold N. Stinson Mathematics-Science Building, completed in 1972, serves as a central classroom facility. This building features laboratory spaces, support and instrumentation rooms, a multi-media equipped auditorium, self-instructional space, seminar rooms equipped for utilizing the latest in media technology instruction, computer classroom/laboratory, and a greenhouse. The building, which was updated in 1990, and was named in honor of Dr. Harold N. Stinson, third President of Stillman.
The Cordell Wynn Humanities and Fine Arts Center
Cordell Wynn Humanities and Fine Arts Center, completed in 1999, serves as a central classroom facility. This building features multi-media and seminar rooms; electronic classrooms; language, reading, speech, writing, and computer laboratories; studio and galley space; and audio-visual studious for mass communication and telecommunications. The building was named in honor of Dr. Cordell Wynn, fourth President of Stillman.
The Johnson-Robinson Nursing and Health Center
Josephine C. Johnson/J.W. Robinson Nursing and Health Center, constructed in 1994, is named for two long-time employees of the college. Mrs. Johnson, an alumna of Stillman, served as college nurse for 37 years, and Dr. Robinson served as college physician for 28 years. The building houses counseling, placement, and the the Department of Nursing.
The School of Education
The School of Education, completed in 2003, is located on the southeast section of the campus near the stadium. In addition to offices and classrooms, the 31,000-square-foot building contains spaces designed specifically for students in the education program. The high-concept, technological facility stands as evidence of Stillman's commitment to the teaching profession.
The William H. Sheppard Library
William H. Sheppard Library, named for one of Stillman's most distinguished alumni, was completed in 1956 and houses approximately 110,00 volumes and electronic databases. The media area includes the Curriculum Laboratory, the Educational Development Laboratory, and a preview/listening room. These facilities provide learning resources such as videotapes, films, slides, interactive video discs, computer software, laminating equipment, projectors, televisions, etc. The College Archives are also located in the library. Special collections include the Martha L. O'Rourke African-American Collection, and a microfilm collection from part of the Schomberh Collection of Negro Life and History. The library subscribes to 410 American and foreign periodicals, including twenty-one newspaper subscriptions from various sections of the nation. Dr. Sheppard, for whom the building was named, completed at Stillman his training for the ministry in 1887. With Samuel B. Lapsley, Sheppard founded missionary work of the Presbyterian Church in the Congo (now Zaire). In 1989 the Ashel and Merle Jackson Communications Complex was annexed to the facility. The library is a member of cooperative programs with University of Alabama Libraries, Shelton State Community College Libraries, and Bevill State Community College Library.
The Joseph D. Roulhac Residence Hall
Joseph D. Roulhac Hall was completed in 2000 and is named for Judge Joseph Roulhac, a Stillman alumnus and the first African American municipal judge in Akron, Ohio. The residence hall houses 298 female students and contains two computer laboratories and a food court.
The Samuel Burney Hay College Center
Samuel Burney Hay College Center, opened in 1965 and renovated 2002, is named in honor of Dr. Hay and serves as the focal point of social life at Stillman. This center houses the College dining room, student organizations offices, computer classroom/laboratory, recreation rooms, snack bar, post office, book and supply store, day student lounges, general student lounges, faculty and presidential dining rooms, and guest rooms. Completely air conditioned, the building is built around a large patio. It was built through capital fund drives, the Presbyterian Development Fund and the College Fund UNCF.
The Marie Lundy Wynn Hall Residence Hall
Marie Lundy Wynn Hall, completed in1996, is a female residence hall named in honor of the college's fourth First Lady. The building has a fitness center, computer lab, and a kitchen on each floor.
The Stillman Stadium and Athletic Complex
Stillman Stadium, completed in 1999, serves as home to Stillman's outdoor athletic teams. The 9,000-seat stadium boasts four NCAA regulations fields--one for football, two for baseball, and one for softball--and five related buildings. Located east of the stadium is the football coaches’ area.
The Hallie Paxon Winsborough Residence Hall
Winsborough Hall, erected by Women of the Presbyterian Church in 1922, and renovated in 1966, provides residence rooms for women. The building bears the name of Mrs. Hallie Paxon Winsborough, who was Secretary of Women's Work from 1912-1929. Winsborough Hall was renovated in 1987 and 2002, and continues to be a residence hall for women, reserved exclusively for seniors.
The Birthright Auditorium and Athletic Center
Birthright Hall, erected in 1951 and renovated in 1975 and 2003, provides facilities for physical educations and athletics. The building contains a swimming pool for year-round use, and a basketball court for intercollegiate competition. The building also houses a large stage for dramatic and other cultural events, and student activities. A bequest from Charles and Bettie Birthright, for whom the building is named, and contributions from the Women of the Church financed construction of the building. This facility was expanded and refurbished in 2003.
The Alexander Batchelor Hall Administrative Building
Alexander Batchelor Hall was completed in 1962 with funds from the 1960 birthday offerings of the Women of the Church. Extensive remodeling in 1973-74 and again in 1999 provides for greater utilization of Batchelor for administrative services to students.
Frances Dearing Hay Hall
Frances Dearing Hay Hall, named in honor of the college's second First Lady, was opened for occupancy in the fall of 1966. "Hay Hall is the primary residence for male freshman students".
Frank H. M. Williams Hall
Williams Hall was completed in 1968, and refurbished and architecturally enhanced in 2001. This building, a single gender residence hall, has been used for housing male or female students.
John Knox Hall
Knox Hall was erected as a student nurses’ residence hall in 1939. Enlarged in 1954 to serve the needs of a growing student body, it provided administrative space for the General Education Improvement Program and housed the Health Center and male resident students. The building was completely renovated again in 1994 and rededicated in 1995 as a residence hall for men.
Emily Estes Snedecor Hall
Snedecor Hall is one of the oldest buildings on campus. It was built in 1929 and served as a hospital for the residents of Tuscaloosa. In later years it served as the mathematics-science building and library. While the original architectural style of the building was maintained, the interior was completely renovated in 2000 and now houses the Division of Business.
The College maintains eight houses intended to insure an administrative presence on campus, and to provide transitional accommodations for faculty.
Myrtle Williamson Memorial Prayer Chapel
Myrtle Williamson Memorial Prayer Chapel, finished in 1966 and remodeled in 2002, named for a beloved member of the Bible faculty, is perhaps the most unique architectural structure on the campus. The style of the Chapel is free form using the sphere as the basic element of design. The chapel, made possible through Miss Williamson’s estate and gifts from alumni and friends, provides a quiet and beautiful place for prayer and meditation. It is located across the drive from the College Center courtyard.
Thomas E. Lyle Band Center
The Thomas E. Lyle Band Center, completed in 2010, is named for former band director and legendary bandman, Dr. Thomas E. Lyle. It is annexed to the Cordell Wynn Humanities and Fine Arts Center and houses the marching and concert bands.
The Tennis Complex, completed in 2010, is comprised of eight, lighted NCAA regulation courts with the signature Stillman blue playing surface.
Geneva Hall was completed in 1954 as a residence hall for women. This hall has been renovated to serve the College’s community outreach programs.